IoT Sleepbuddy

from IoT Sleepbuddy
by Stephanie

Awesome concept from Bert Vuylsteke on Instructables:

You might thought “what is his project about and why…, why did he came up with that idea???”.

Well, first of all, this started as a school project at Ghent University Belgium, in cooperation with the Opsoro platform. The name Opsoro refers to “Open Source”. I had to develop a social robot, which is able of connecting to the internet by means of a Raspberry Pi. The social robot must be a buildkit for a target audience of 14 to 18 year olds.

As I was getting closer to the actual purpose of my design, I realized that this could be developed in mass production and can become a reality. The reason I put it on the Instructables open source platform, is because I am proud on what I made and I want to share my design story with anyone.

What is my concept about?
Sometimes (You might want to change the “sometimes” to another (un)countable adverb 😛 )
It is hard to get kids to bed for a nap. My design solves this issue by involving a sleepbuddy in their room.

The sleepbuddy is a friend or safeguard for nightmares, but it is so much more for the babysitters or parents. The babysitters or parents connect their smartphone/tablet/PC to the “Sleepbuddy”. This will give them access to control all his emotions, gestures, microphone, speaker and camera. In the eye is a hidden camera to see the kids sleeping. The speaker and microphone ensures communication with the kids through WIFI.

The sleepbuddy is provided of blackboardpaint, which enables to kids of customizing their personal friend with a chalk before sleeping.

Read more and see more from Bert Vuylsteke on YouTube

Comments